Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Microwave Corn on the Cob

I saw a pin this summer about cooking corn on the cob in the microwave and gave it a try. I was not disappointed. I have heard so many people say that they only use their microwave for popcorn and for reheating leftovers. Others say the food just “doesn’t taste the same!” If you are one of those people, you really need to try this. I use the microwave often. In fact, I only used a microwave and small appliances such as a slow cooker and electric skillet for the first 6 years of our marriage. We lived in an apartment with a nonfunctioning stove for the first 2 years and in a relative’s home without a stove for the next 4 years. We received a new microwave as a wedding gift. It was purchased from a store that only sold microwave ovens, Mr. Microwave.  Included in the purchase price was microwave cooking school which consisted on 6 sessions. I attended the sessions and learned to use the microwave for a lot of recipes. Many of them I still use 33 years later! The microwave is generally more energy efficient than heating the stove and often quicker and it does not heat up the kitchen as much as a traditional stove. The corn on the cob recipe is new to me but it was delicious and easy. While you would not want to use this method if you were cooking a lot of corn, it is great for a few ears. Step one is to simply put the corn in the microwave for 4 minutes per ear.

fresh corn

ready to cook

It can go straight from the stalk to the microwave, no cleaning necessary!

set the timer

Cook four minutes per ear at 100% power.

carefully remove

Carefully remove the ears of corn. I used an oven mitt because it was very hot!! Then cut the stalk end off. Be sure to get all of the stalk.

shake it loose

Next, hold the ear of corn by the silk end and shake vigorously. I had to coax mine a little to get it out. I even had to wiggle it a little.

keep shaking

Then out she comes!

clean as a whistle

Clean as a whistle! No silks left on the corn! It was delicious and my family thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope you will give it a try.

a signature

I’ll be linking to Tips, Tidbits and Tutorials at Stone Gable. If you missed the other summer recipes this week click here to see my Tomato Pie and here to see my Blueberry Crumble.

1 comment:

Decor To Adore said...

I had seen this on "Single Dad Laughing" and thought hmmm. But now that you have done it I will HAVE to try it. :) Can't wait to see you again.